WHAT IS OXYTOCIN AND WHAT IS IT FOR?
It is sometimes referred to as the “love hormone”, because levels of oxytocin increase during hugging and orgasm. It may also have benefits as a treatment for a number of condition, including postpartum depression. It is produced in the hypothalamus and secreted by the pituitary gland, and released during sex, childbirth, and lactation to aid reproductive functions. During pregnancy, it already plays a very important role. Then, in childbirth and for breastfeeding, it allows the milk ejection. It is even related to mother-child bonding.
Because it has physical and psychological effects, oxytocin is our friend!
HOW TO NATURALLY INCREASE OXYTOCIN
So how can we make it intervene as often as possible? Here are some ideas. It’s up to you to find ones that suit you best and above all, try to become aware of your feel good moments!
- Read a book, sitting in front of a window to benefit from the natural light.
- Go out for a 5-minute walk and be sure to take at least 10 deep breaths.
- Soak in a hot tub. Add a bag of our herbal bath tea to improve the experience.
- Find a daily ritual that will make you feel good. For example: drink hot chocolate or eat a small piece of chocolate every day, diffuse essential oils that you like a lot, read 10 minutes a day…
- Talk with a person you like, at least 5 minutes every day and use the “L” word. Tell those around you that you love them!
- Feel your baby, caress him.The skin-to-skin contact is as beneficial for baby as it is for mom. Try to give at least eight hugs a day…it shouldn’t be very hard to do.
- Sing (baby lullabies for example), hum to the music, listen to your favorite playlist.
- Pet a dog!
Simply multiply the small pleasures in your day to day life. There’s no need to ride a roller coaster or jump out of an airplane, you know!